Thread: New here...
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
slim13

New here...

Hello everyone. My name is Sean and I'm trying to quit drinking. I'm 42 years old and have been drinking almost every day for about 4 years. The interesting thing is that I rarely get drunk. It's just a daily 6-10 light beers and occasionally wine or some hard liquor. It's taken me a while, but I've finally admitted to myself that I have a drinking problem. I never thought it would happen to me but it did. Today I sat my wife down and said the words I never thought I would say. I am an alcoholic. I grew up with alcoholism in my family but I never thought after all these years that it would hit me. At any rate, I tried to quit drinking in early Feb. I made it about a day and a half and got a bad headache, then my hands started shaking. I became really anxious and thought to myself, "Mind over matter". No big deal right? I'm bigger than this right? I was wrong.

On the second afternoon, my hands shook a bit worse and I got so scared that I drank. The shakes went away. But my I replaced my shakes with drinking. That scared the living daylights out of me (and it still does).

I'm going to try to see my doctor tomorrow and talk about what the next step is. I know that mentally and spiritually I'm strong enough to quit. I'm afraid that something really bad is going to happen to me if I ignore the shakes and headaches.

I'd appreciate any input/advice on where I go from here. Are there drugs I can take to manage the withdrawal?

Thanks for reading.