Old 03-18-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
EternalQ

I stopped drinking five or six weeks ago. I took the approach as with my cessation of smoking, way back, which was: "I will never smoke again, so dont feed the craving monster with my attention and it will shrink down to a mouse. Starve the craving."

If, when I had stopped smoking, I had substituted that with going to daily meetings with bunches of other smokers, telling their smoking stories, and coddling each other again and again when they each decide to go back on their public committment to quit, I would be feeding the smoking monster and she would be dancing with glee. Right?

So why do people do that with drinking?

Anyway this was my thinking when I stopped drinking. Then what happens? I am successfully not drinking, ( tho it is hard for sure early on and scary), and everyone around me is saying I better go to "meetings" or I will fail, I better not think I can just do this solely relying on my will.

I am thinking what the heck? I drank with my will, I drank cause I liked it, so I can quit with my will.

No, say others. You are in denial. What? No one said I was in denial when I quit smoking and made that known... Hmmnn...

So then on SR, what do I discover but AVRT and RR!!

I had been reading early on about the reptilian brain, and reading how to strengthen my self discipline. I was trying to put these things together to help myself, but couldnt quite concieve it.. and then, voila! Here it is!

I will never drink again, and I will never change my mind. Next question?