View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 01:00 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
pentuate

I have some nevers, though I don't think of them as nevers. They are more just self evident things. I never steal from a store (perhaps I would if there were no other options - so perhaps that is not a never) and I have not ever stolen from a store up to this point. I don't cheat. But i don't think or affirm I never cheat and i never will. To say that to myself seems like I am trying to convince myself of something. Even just saying that feels like some sort of extra restriction or tension.

The other thing is, unlike these "nevers" that I have, where I have actually not done these things, drinking, I have done, big time. A more accurate statement or assessment would be, historically, I drink/drank often and in large amounts. Certainly not never. To say I never drink seems a little delusional given my history, lol. I have stopped drinking seems a more rational thing to say imo. I think if you replace "drinking" with any other "doing" in the i never and will never statement the uneasiness and "oddness" and I guess aggressiveness of it becomes more apparent.