View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Farfalla

Angry Annoyed with "adult" child

Good morning all.

I hope everyone is well.

I need to vent so I am posting.

My daughter came home from school last night to pick up some business casual clothes for a function today at college. We had a nice family dinner at my parents house where we are living now and she left to go back to school. I received a text from her later asking if we will be moving back home before the summer because she would like to have her friends come over, be able to get ready when they go out at night with her and swim in our pool. Now, mind you when we lived at home she would always have girls sleeping over (annoyed me) and never would swim in our pool. As a matter of fact I was the only one who took care of the pool and I don't even swim!

I said to her if I had to answer this question today probably not. She went on a little selfish tyrant about how her life is just crappy now and it sucks and blah blah blah. I said to her the following:

No, your life is just beginning and you need to focus on school and getting a summer job. You are going to be 19 which means no hanging out with friends all night and sleeping all day this summer. What I don't understand is how noone addresses anything with your father (the addict). He is the one who chose to use again after the gift of rehab and sobriety. He is the one sick. Yet I hear all the grief and complaining. It is time to grow up. I live with his addiction everyday. Your brother lives with his addiction everyday. You however are at school living your life. It is your father who chose drugs over his family. But noone addresses it with him. We should be grateful we have my parents who live in the same town, same development, same school district. We should be grateful we all have our own bedrooms and space even at my parents house. Your father knew the consequences if he used and chose the drugs anyway. Sorry I didn't cause this and I cant control it. I can only provide a safe consistent home for my children.

I have to say I am a little annoyed with my daughter. She is going to be 19 this summer. Time to get a summer job, take summer courses, no hanging out all night long and sleeping all day. Sorry she can't have ten plus girls coming into my parents home slopping up her room. This was such a source of discontention for us last summer. No respect for my home. I saw last night how extremely selfish she really is. We had countless fights how she treated my home like a sorority last year. I feel time to grow up here. Enough!

Again, sorry but I had to vent. If anyone has any experience with selfish 18-19year olds (I hate to use the term adult because most can't take care of themselves) please share with me.

Hugs,
Marlene