View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
lesliej

"Money handling" is a pretty common relapse prevention aspect. I have known a couple of people who are successful in their recovery. They asked someone to handle their money for them to prevent easy access to a major trigger for many crack addicts. For my ex, who is bi polar, the cash has always been a problem. Crack and bi polar issues exacerbate each other, cash is a trigger for each issue and an intensified problem when the two are combined. Someone in early recovery from such an intense addiction as crack can use every relapse prevention tool they can get...

NOW, having said that...

My ex had a therapist who recommended that I handle the cash of my ex. They had come up with this plan with the input of other people in recovery who had "cash handlers" (cash is a major trigger)...so I agreed. It was supposed to double as a transparency tool too...

It did NOT work. My therapist was appalled that his therapist had recommended ME to do it. While it may be a very good and useful idea to have someone in that role...it is usually NOT a good idea for the romantic partner who has any codependency tendencies. Handling the cash was a major trigger for me! go figure....

It causes imbalance in the relationship and resentments. While it may be true that in many healthy and functioning relationships one person handles the banking and bills...in a relationship with addiction the cash handling has it's own specific character and identity!

The idea of a relapse prevention tool doesn't have to get tossed out...
but who does it is of extreme importance. It seems logical and convenient to do it as a partner...but woe... whoa betty!