Thread: AA vs. RR/AVRT
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Arguably, the Newcomer's forum may not be the best place for the latter half of this thread,
That's my MAIN point...

I don't think there's anything wrong with even spirited emotionally charged discussions....... so long as all parties have the ability to be mature and somewhat open about it. What can come from those, often uncomfortable, discussions is some eye-opening and maybe even some openness to some new ideas. .......good stuff.

In the newcomers forum though, when new ppl are coming to find out if they've GOT an alcohol problem, what can be done about it, what to consider, what to look at, and so forth...... even the most mature exchange of differences between old-timers in either program is going to make things confusing at best or like both programs suck at worst, to someone who's new.

I try.....TRY......to keep my posts simple and appropriate to what was helpful for me when I was new, has been helpful to the guys I sponsor, or that I've seen help other newcomers. Debates, IMO, go in another section of the forum - probably in private messages IF the quest is really for knowledge or understanding. Sadly, what most of those debates turn into is a ego vs ego who's smarter than who competition and not reeeeally a search for knowledge......and that does NOTHING for the newcomer.

I'd like to see a "primary purpose" in these newcomer threads where we focus on helping the newcomer and be mature enough to set aside all the other stuff for another area/time/place.