Thread: AA vs. RR/AVRT
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
wpainterw

I confess that i have not read through all of this lengthy thread, which is on a topic which has been discussed off and on in these forums for many years. As I see it AVRT is not really inconsistent with AA, at least insofar as it focusses on a phenomenon which is quite well accepted now in scientific circles, namely that there is a primitive part of the brain which may become a major obstacle in recovery, which may send subconscious messages to the more rational parts of the brain to get the addict to resume drinking. If this is the AVRT message it is not really inconsistent with AA. Perhaps some of the more traditional AA doctrine may have a measure of exclusiveness, namely an idea that "You're never going to get well unless you do all the 12 steps under the guidance of a sponsor and unless you diligently attend AA meetings as often as possible." I understand that AVRT does not think this is necessary and, for some folks, recovery seems to have taken place without it. I can only speak for myself. I was not a conventional AA participant but I did get a lot of benefit out of parts of it and I doubt that I would have achieved 23 years sobriety without all that friendly and nonjudgmental support. I like to listen to some of the old timers. They've been through a lot and have a lot of experience.

W.