Thread: AA vs. RR/AVRT
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Yeah, that so works for me, and is how in practice I actually went about completing the AA program in 90 days. I walked in, did my detox, did my rehab, did my meetings, did my socializing, had my intimate respective relationships, and 90 days later I was recovered as defined by AA. What's there not to love?!!
I want to qualify the above abit. My being recovered by AA standards does not mean in any way I was completed my introspective journey with never again getting drunk. I have not drank since 1981 is true, but I had alot more growing and changing to do of course to stay sober. It wasn't a cake walk, lol.

Working with other drunks and addicts really helps, and so I went to work for 10 years for the same rehab organization that helped me as a client. I eventually became at 5 years sober an executive program director and worked another 5 years in various formulations of the not-for-profit company. The original home company is now long since defunct but variations yet exist from those early years back in the 1980's.

During those first 5 years I did my two years live-in residence training and learned a modified gestalt therapy. Awesome times. I grew like crazy.

Anyways, just wanted to say that my being recovered in AA after 90 days was not the end of the journey by any stretch of the meaning of recovered. I'm still learning just how little I really know.