Thread: AA vs. RR/AVRT
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by lilac0721 View Post
In my experience, people in AA have encouraged me and others to not work the steps or to stay on steps 1-3 for a while until getting some sober time underway. Others have said that the "solution" is in steps 4-9.
Originally Posted by fuzzy1
I've heard the suggestion to do one step a year from an AA member when I was new. Am glad I disregarded his opinion.
No member speaks for AA. Each member of course can share their experience but beyond that, they are simply soapboxing for their own purposes. Its really buyer beware in a room full of alcoholics and what-have-you when one is not already personally successful with not drinking.

The Big Book Alcoholics Anonmynous is the first and last word on the AA program. A myriad of suggestions and opinions from a forever changing membership of alcoholics in various stages of recovery will always be present and available within AA. Following any advice from any member (especially a sponsor ) without checking it against the AA Big Book is just plain irresponsible and works against living the AA program of sobriety.