Old 03-12-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DeLivery

Is there a standard procedure GPs follow when dealing with long term alcoholics..

that have developed mental/neurological problems.

I came across this on net.
================================
Diagnosis
The diagnosis of alcohol-related neurologic disease depends largely on finding characteristic symptoms and signs in patients who abuse alcohol. Other possible causes should be excluded by the appropriate tests, which may include blood chemistry, thyroid function tests, brain MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) or CT (computed tomography scan), and/or cerebrospinal fluid analysis.
Acute alcoholic myopathy can be diagnosed by finding myoglobin in the urine and increased creatine kinase and other blood enzymes released from injured muscle. The surgical removal of a small piece of muscle for microscopic analysis (muscle biopsy) shows the scattered breakdown and repair of muscle fibers. Doctors must rule out other acquired causes of muscle breakdown, which include the abuse of drugs such as heroin, cocaine, or amphetamines; trauma with crush injury; the depletion of phosphate or potassium; or an underlying defect in the metabolism of carbohydrates or lipids. In chronic alcoholic myopathy, serum creatine kinase often is normal, and muscle biopsy shows atrophy, or loss of muscle fibers. Electromyography (EMG) may show features characteristic of alcoholic myopathy or neuropathy.
=========================================

I had been an heavy drinker for thirty years and not realised I had to take B vits, am also vegetarian, develeloped nerve trouble in last four years, but have never been referred for neurology or brainscan, had asked for psychiatry about 4 times though, was assessed on each occasion and said I was OK, although been pushing for neurology , the GP then decided to refer me for therapy instead , was acceped and just finished the sessions, it helped, but do not feel the real prob has been addressed ie nerve damage/ something effecting nerves. I need to write a letter asking why they haven't refered me for neurology