Thread: AA vs. RR/AVRT
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 03:17 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I have to ask you TU...Because I'm curious...Seeing how this is a business...And AA is not....
AA is indeed a business, it just doesn't pay taxes by calling itself 'non-profit'. They don't give away free Big Books, after all. Google "Spirituality versus Legalism in Alcoholics Anonymous" for a perspective from an AA member. The AA GSB has millions in cash reserves, and their employees get paid handsomely. As a 'non-profit', though, they have to disclose this to the public, which makes it very easy to look up, including their tax returns. Here you go:

Nonprofit Organization Information: GENERAL SERVICE BOARD OF ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS INC

I think RR is far more honest by actually paying taxes instead of evading that responsibility and letting the taxpayers pick up the tab, and I say good for them. I won't even bother linking to the astronomical figures for the Hazelden 'non-profit', which make AA look like an unemployed corner street beggar, but which, along with the 15,000 or so other rehabs, has become a career ladder for 12-Steppers who want to get paid for 12th step work.

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Do you have personal examples of abuse you suffered and misguidance you were given by the fellowship?...Besides those worthless slogans you referred to earlier?
I have examples, Sapling, but no doubt the choir would come out with the classic "I've never seen that -- that doesn't happen in MY home group!" defense. There are other sites devoted to such examples, though, which you can probably look up. I will grant, though, that I came out relatively unscathed compared to others. To this day, though, I still recall my parents calling AA to ask if it was religious (which I knew it was), and they were told that AA was in no way religious, thus paving the way for 'tough love' and 'treatment'.

I will never forgive AA for that ridiculous "spiritual, not religious" lie. I doubt this will ever happen, but if AA ever stops lying to everyone and acknowledges that it is indeed religious, if not a religion in and of itself, I very much doubt I would personally have anything against it. I tend not to care what religious organization people affiliate themselves with, even if I don't subscribe to it myself, but claiming not to be religious so that you can get unwilling participants funnelled in against their will is unforgivable in my book.