Thread: newlyweds
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 05:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Auriana

Welcome to SR! I've been married to an alcoholic for 2 years. I didn't know he had a drinking problem before we got married either. I can completely relate to your situation. I stood in your shoes two years ago. It started with parties before our wedding and on our honeymoon...and I too thought nothing of it. It took me over a year to realize my AH had a problem (I thought it was depression causing the drinking...turns out, it was the drinking causing the depression....). Anyway, I wish I could go back and do it over again - I would still choose to marry my AH (he's also a wonderful man), but I would choose to handle his disease differently. The worse my AH's drinking got, the more I became a codependent (in case you're new to the lingo - it means I put my AH's feelings before me & over time I have forgot who I was..something I never thought could happen, but it did). I am now in a recovery of sorts myself - I am recovering from being a codependent. I've been reading Codependent No More by Melody Beattie and it has forever changed how I will relate to my AH. If you want my advice, I suggest reading up and learning as much as you can about alcoholism (the library has great books or go to open AA meetings), get support from somewhere (try alanon since it sounds like your friends and family may not be too supportive right now) and learn about being married to an alcoholic (I highly recommend Codependent No More and I have heard good things about a book called Marriage on the Rocks - love the title). Hang in there. It's a long road and if you should chose to stay the course, you will learn that only your husband can choose to stop drinking - you have to choose to take care of yourself and not enable your husband. Good luck and keep coming back to SR!