Thread: AA vs. RR/AVRT
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
desertsong
Choosing Life

AA vs. RR/AVRT

As some of you know, I'm back on the "sober train" after a relapse last week, followed by a medical detox in the hospital. Today is Day 6 for the umpteenth time. I've not given up hope but I do realize that I need to do some things differently if I'm going to succeed this time.

I've been attending AA for a couple of months and have made some wonderful friendships there and received a great deal of support. I've read the Big Book, the 12/12, and have worked steps 1-3. It has been eye-opening for me in a lot of ways and has taught me a great deal.

I've also been reading about Rational Recovery/AVRT and just ordered the book. A lot of the principles there also make sense to me.

I've heard that people have had success using both AA and RR, but I'm trying to wrap my head around that because they seem diametrically opposed to each other in many ways.

So I guess I'm just wondering if it is feasible/possible to do both? Why or why not? I realize some folks feel passionate about this and I'm not trying to start any arguments, but would appreciate an honest discussion about it, as I'm confused about what to do ... whether to stick with AA, drop AA and go with RR, or try to do both if they are somewhat compatible with each other and would be of help to me. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.