Thread: Step 1 - AA
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AD33

Hi, again, thanks for your responses.

My sponsor tells me it's very normal to have cravings and the creeping thought that I could drink again. She suggests I attend regular meetings, which I do, and recall my written Step 1, which outlined in black and white how despite a relatively long period without alcohol or non-prescribed chemicals my drinking was abnormal from the start, and had consequences. Also, she pointed out, and I've heard in meetings, that my behaviour dry can be as destructive as when I'm drinking, which experience bears out. This is partially, I believe, due to the fact that I can fix on many things other than alcohol and chemicals.

She also suggested that Step 1 involves getting to a place of trusting a meeting enough to share and connect with myself about how I am powerless over alcohol and how it has made my life unmanageable. That's proving to be a process for various reasons.

Re: romancing the thought of a drink - I'm so scared of drinking at present that pretty much as soon as I get the thought I check out what meeting I'm going to or do some reading on Step 1. Sometimes I will distract myself by doing something else entirely.

At this point, me drinking would have very serious consequences for myself and others and what I've heard described as "the yets" are just around the corner if I drink, I'm convinced of that.

I'd like the fear to go away though.