Thread: Step 1 - AA
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Tommyh
It`s ok to stay sober

ad33
yes it is normal I would say because I had the same things once.
the word cravings usually points to physical cravings which happens when we take the first drink.It is explained in the Dr`s Opinion in the Big Book.
Now the word obsession usually points to the mental thoughts of drinking,especially when we are sober.
However,if you are feeling like you are having physical cravings,it may be your body wanting sugar.We sometimes mistake that for a alcohol craving since alcohol has sugar in it.Sweets or candy sometimes helps newcomers when that arises.Have you tried that when you feel like you are getting a craving?
Also,the thoughts you are having are pretty normal too.More About Alcoholism, chapter 3 in the Big Book,talks about the obsession to drink more thoroughly.
Please be careful of those creeping thoughts.This is the subtle obsession to drink trying to get you to drink.Try not to "romance " the thought of a drink when those thoughts happen.I used to try hard to remember those horrible times when I was drunk to help me see the truth when a drinking thought came up.It was more than a drink,it was the start of a horrible cycle.

you may not wanna hear this but you are just where you are supposed to be.