Thread: newlyweds
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 02:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kiki

newlyweds

I"ve been married less than 2 months, and my husband seems to be drinking more and more. During our engagement, he drank a lot, but I wrote that off to the fact that we had a bunch of parties and showers. The honeymoon was a real eye opener because we stayed at one of those all-inclusive Mexican resorts and he would start drinking at 9:00 am when the bar opened at wouldn't quit until bed time! Again, I wrote that off as the fact that we were on vacation and things had been stressful up until the wedding, but the more he drank the less I wanted to. I don't think I had more than 3 drinks the whole week. I tried to get him to stop, but he would get mad and would refuse. He's not violent when he drinks or mean, he just gets goofy. Now that we're home, he'll have 2 or 3 beers when he gets home from work, then he'll have a Seagram's Seven with dinner and Jack and Coke before bed. I've tried to approach the topic with him before, but he gets mad. He might stop for a day or two, but that's it. I didn't live with him before marriage, so I don't know if he's always consumed this much, but I do know that he had a huge drinking problem in high school, college, and after. I had hoped he had grown out of it. His father has an alcohol problem (although not his biological father) so he sees nothing wrong with the amount that he drinks. I"m just really scared because I had this idealized image of how newlywed life would be, and it's not. I can't talk to my friends because I don't want anyone to know, and my parents were concerned about me marrying into his family anyway. My husband is the sweetest, most wonderful man and I need him to understand that he needs help. Any thoughts?