Thread: my new husband
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kiki

my new husband

I'm 24 years old and have never been a big drinker. Every now and then I like to have fun and let loose, but never to an extent where I feel bad the next day. Recently I married a man who is 30. I knew that he had been a big drinker when he was in high school, college, and after, but I was under the impression that he had given that up as he got older. During our engagement (around 9 months) he drank quite a bit, but I chalked that up to the parties and showers that were given for us. It was an exciting time. We didn't live together so I'm not sure what he did while he was alone, but since the honeymoon, it seems as though he is always drinking. The honeymoon was pretty upsetting because we were at one of those all-inclusive resorts in Mexico, and he would get his first drink at 9:00 am when the bar opened and would drink straight through until evening. It was both embarrasing, and alarming. Again, I chalked it up to the fact that we were on our honeymoon (a time of celebration). When we got back to real life, I started noticing how much he was drinking. When he gets home from work, he will have 2 or 3 beers, at dinner he will have a Seagram's Seven, and then he has Jack and coke before bed. He never acts drunk (just a little giggly) and is never violent or mean to me. In the morning, he always feels sick. The only time he gets angry is when I confront him about his drinking. His father (although not his biological father, has an alcohol problem..but again they ignore it) I"m just scared because I've only been married a month and a half and I don't know what to do to make him realize that he has a problem. The first year of marriage is suppose to be fun, and, so far, I feel like I married "Frank the Tank".....I don't really have anyone to talk to about it because I don't want my friends knowing, and my parents were concerned about me marrying into his family anyway. Any thoughts?