Old 03-08-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Pigtails

Hi Holly. I am over four months sober and I felt a lot like you. I hadn't lost a job or a relationship or a house or my freedom (jail) because of alcohol. But there were a lot of close calls and honestly I didn't GAIN a lot because of alcohol. I knew my life could be so much better if I could just get rid of my dependence on alcohol. My bottom was emotional more than external circumstances-- alcohol robbed me of self-esteem, confidence, happiness-- I was depressed and felt like life was purposeless. Now without alcohol I feel so much happier and healtier (I still sometimes want to drink but the thought of how unhappy I used to be compared to how happy I am now keeps me from doing it). Everyone's bottom is different. But for sure if you continue drinking your bottom will get lower and lower and lower. Alcoholism is like an elevator going down, down, down-- you can get off at any time, but you can never start going back up again (or even stop where you're at) while you're still drinking. So I advise trying to be grateful for what you HAVEN'T lost (yet), and remember that those people sharing their stories are helping you a lot but showing you what could happen to you if you don't stop before it's too late!! Best wishes to you.