View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 04:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
GingerM

Around 1 year sober i started being exhausted. This has gotten worse over time and I can't work or commit to anything because I'm tired.
Depending on how long you were an active alcoholic, you may have some medical issues as well. I would strongly urge you to go see your doctor, have your thyroid hormones (all of them, not just the TSH) checked. Also have them check your iron (all of them, not just hemoglobin/hemocrit, make sure they check your ferritin levels as well). Also check your vitamin D levels.

All of the above can lead to perpetual exhaustion, something I went through also. Physical exhaustion the likes of which were nearly disabling. Turned out I had low D and ferritin levels (very very low levels). These are all very easy things to fix.

In addition, you may want to talk to your doctor about anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds. Ask for a referral to a psychiatrist (they're the ones who can prescribe meds). In some cases, depression or chemical imbalances can cause this kind of exhaustion. I've seen a lot of estimates about alcoholism and depression and the guesses at how many alcoholics are depressed and are self medicating. Depression, particularly a type of depression called "apathetic depression" can present as exhaustion: no energy, can't motivate to get out of bed, can't motivate to feed oneself, can't be bothered with showering, every task seems insurmountable and like a mountain to climb.

All of that being said, recovery is exhausting. And it is not fast. I've been in recovery in various stages for over 20 years now. It is still exhausting on some days. Give yourself permission to be exhausted. If you fight it and think you "shouldn't" be exhausted, it will only make things worse. Take a nap. Take a day to put your own needs (and I don't mean physical) first. Take another nap. Watch a movie that you'd never admit to your friends. Spend time taking care of yourself with the same degree of love, caring and understanding that you use when you take care of others (this may take some work on your end, you'll have to keep asking yourself "If I was someone else, how would I treat me?")

Welcome to the board. People here understand. Sometimes just knowing we are not alone in the world can make a huge difference. It certainly has for me.