View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 02:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ShaneW

Originally Posted by jobei View Post
... they say it's a good thing but since they both drink I think they are slightly threatened by it. I've noticed that with a lot of people (including myself) that when others quit drinking or quit smoking or start exercising a lot it can be a threat in our minds because it's something we know that we probably should do. It just goes to show how insidious this thing really is...
This is what is sortve in back of my mind. Not only with this friend, but with family members that dont know yet. (nearly every branch of my family tree sprouts alcoholic leaves) While this particular friend never really drank, he is part of my old crew of roughly 11 guys from college. We are all still close friends, even though we are now spread out all over the world. By telling this friend, I know I will (for me) want to tell the whole old crew. I love those guys, but Im not sure how some of them will react. I fear some will be threatened to find out someone they considered brother is an alcoholic...cause they will then have to examine themselves possibly. Im sure I am overthinking it and they will support me as usual, but...

We had a 12th buddy, who was forced through his job to get sober back around 2002, and he went all in with AA. He basically cut off contact with any college friends. Which I understand NOW is important to some people in recovery. But AT THAT TIME some of us wondered amongst ourselves whether he was just coerced/brainwashed into joining AA by his work & parents, which I now KNOW was just us drinkers not wanting to face the fact that if our close friend was officially an alcoholic, then maybe we were as well.