Old 03-07-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SeekingGrowth

Heroin Addiction & Recovery - What Works?

Hello all,

In a prior post, I mentioned that my AS is addicted to heroin. I don't believe the addiction has been long standing. I believe he started using occasionally last summer and it escalated from there. He entered in-patient rehab (detox) a few weeks ago and was discharged after 12 days - our health insurance would cover no more. He was supposed to start an after-care program that included an IOP and NA meetings, but relapsed the day after his release and hasn't done a single thing in the week and a half since his release for his recovery. He will be 20 years old in April.

My question is this - is there an "optimal" treatment approach to beat heroin addiction? I'm told that you really want 60-90 days in-patient rehab (which we can't do because insurance won't cover), but that even there, chance of recovery is only about 50%. Here's what I'm thinking: It doesn't really matter which treatment approach you use - 60-90 days inpatient, or 12 day detox plus IOP. What matters is whether the addict really, intensely WANTS to quit. Without that commitment, that desperate desire to conquer this thing, no treatment program will work; but with it, any treatment program would work.

Am I right about that? Or am I just trying to make myself feel OK about the fact that I can't afford a 60-90 day inpatient rehab program?