Thread: after addiction
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
KelleyF

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
10 months later; he hasnt let up on that goal.
except for what you have shared with us about the binge that led to an OD and a trip to the hospital a couple months back? that seems to a very critical piece you try to minimize...........

Your right Anvil, sometimes I know in my head I try to minimize the one night binge and all that it entailed. I want to think of it as a slip. I know that is wrong - but I want to explain it away by all the things that were happening at that time in his life; emotional triggers - like the anniversay of his toddlers death in November, the holidays being that weekend, and the no contact / guilt he had regarding his dad, the argument with his boss/friend the day it happened.....

I think that minimizing it is more 'my issue' than his however.

There was a period after that when he was broken in spirit because he has this type A personality and he doesnt like to fail once he sets his mind to something.... But during that phase he still remained focused on his goals; went right back to work, and started sessions with the psychiatrist....he hasnt missed one.... he upped his game....so I give him credit for that & I do think his focus has remained constant on his career and his personal life.

These are just my questions, but ...

Im not sure from my perspective what else I could ask of him.
Im also not really sure what more he can ask of himself.

Somehow this would probably be a good question during our 1st couples session which is tomorrow... but I dont have a clue how I would phrase it. And honestly Im too nervous as Ive never been to a therapist before... so Im not really going in with any focus / ideas as to what to say.