Thread: Disease...
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
shockozulu
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by sober4metoday View Post
I have to admit, I am having a real problem with people stating that they have a disease when speaking of their alcoholism. It just goes against every grain in my being. Even when I was in the depths of my drinking I never thought of it as a disease
I did. I had an uncle with four wives, yet over 9 of children (most did not meet until adulthood') are in recovery or still drinking. That is genetics my friend.

I am all for people finding help through the method that works best for them - have it be AVRT, AA, Lifering, on their own, whichever. But I can't do the disease mentality. And I find myself getting irritated about it. I feel like it's a cop out. Alcohol isn't their fault, they have a disease. This isn't cancer or lupus or MD or MS. Sure, I can understand that substance abuse can certainly lead to disease (i.e. liver disease, kidney disease, etc.) but a disease in and of itself? I have trouble with that.
Yes they can. On many cancer patients the same drug will not work so they now test the drug in a vial against the cancerous cells before attempting to try it on a patient. My mother died of Huntington's Disease. It attacks one in every two children from a single parent who suffers. There is no cure or treatment.

I think I need some perspective here. What am I not seeing?

Thanks.
Perhaps you just think more. There are many brilliant men and women that spend most of their working hours at "Think Tanks"