View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 03:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ShaneW

How to tell a close friend...?

Day 38. So I went to dinner with one of my best friends last night. Been friends for 20 years, I was his best man. He knew I was a drinker, because even though he never really drank he hung out with us when we partied (college & after). I havent told really anyone besides a relative, my doctor, and people in AA how bad my alcoholism had gotten. How I was a daily drinker, who drank in secret at home alone. Ive told a handful of people that I have now quit drinking, without going into the long story, just for health/money reasons.

When planning where to go, he asked if I wanted to go somewhere with a bar to get beers with dinner. I said NO, anywhere would be fine and that I had quit drinking. It was also hard to plan because I go to meetings every night, and I dont want to lie to my friend, but he began to call me "sketchy" in a good-natured way for always being busy at night without giving a reason. Anyways, I told him I would tell him whats up with my sketchiness when the time is right & for him not to worry, that its a positive thing. I told him to keep all this stuff close to the vest & that we'd grab dinner again soon.

Now, how to go about telling the whole story...because I want to to this friend...but I dont want to jeopardize my sobriety by bringing too many people into the circle of trust. ya know? He may put 2 & 2 together (quit drinking + busy most nights) but how did you guys tell that trusted friend?