View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Diva76

Is a bloated face a cause for concern?

Hello friends...

About 6 months ago, my ex-boyfriend and I parted ways because of his drinking problem.
In the meantime, I have been doing my very best to take responsibility for my part in this and to keep the focus on me....
I do still care about him, but I already know that since I'm not "God" there's nothing I (or anyone, else for that matter...) can say or do to help him see that he is in need of some help...

One of my recovery goals is to learn as much as I can about the disease of alcoholism. When we first spilt up, I found myself taking things very personally, but the more I have learned about the illness, the less I find myself doing that....

Now for my question...

My mom happened to be on FB the other day, and through a friend of a friend, she saw a picture of my ex-boyfriend. She said it didn't even look like him and his face appeared to be very bloated. Is this a cause for concern? A few things came to mind when my mom shared this with me...
First, I thought to myself...."wow, he must be drinking a lot, if his face is bloated..."
Then, I thought..."oh, no.... Could this be the beginning stages of liver/kidney failure?"

I already know that I am just as "powerless" over alcohol as he is......

I once wrote that while we, as loved ones suffer from seeing those we care about slowly destroying themselves with alcohol; their suffering is so much greater than ours......

I suppose that no matter which side of the fence someone is on, none of us is free from the anguish that the disease of addiction causes....