Thread: Here to learn
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I was pretty happy. After 10 years I decided that I was certainly well enough and I could drink "normally" and safely. I mean, after all, wasn't it all my unresolved childhood issues that caused me, beginning at a very young age, to drink daily, drink to blackout, be promiscuous, hate myself...etc??

The logic followed that since I had dealt with those things, drinking alcohol wasn't going to present a problem for me.

Well, it did. A big one. I went on for several more years and caused further destruction to myself and others, some of which is irreversible.

My "issues"/lack of"issues" had nothing to do with it. I see now that my AV, even after so long, found a way in. It knocked and I opened the door, allowing myself to become re-addicted to alcohol and spiral further down than I had even been.
Every time I read anything about "underlying issues" on this forum, I cringe. The Beast loves 'issues', because it wins either way. If you resolve them, it can argue that you can now drink again. If you don't resolve them, it can argue that you need a little drink to 'cope and deal' with your issues.

Very well said, soberlicious. Bravo !!!