Thread: Here to learn
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
GFC. I felt exactly the same way. Actually I quit for 10 years (roughly 22 to 32). I had unknowingly put an AVRTish bend on it and it just wasn't an option for me to drink anymore, so it was pretty effortless. During that 10 years so many things in my life changed. I basically grew up, matured...started my career, got married, had children, worked through so many of my "issues"...I was pretty happy. After 10 years I decided that I was certainly well enough and I could drink "normally" and safely. I mean, after all, wasn't it all my unresolved childhood issues that caused me, beginning at a very young age, to drink daily, drink to blackout, be promiscuous, hate myself...etc?? The logic followed that since I had dealt with those things, drinking alcohol wasn't going to present a problem for me.

Well, it did. A big one. I went on for several more years and caused further destruction to myself and others, some of which is irreversable.

My "issues"/lack of"issues" had nothing to do with it. I see now that my AV, even after so long, found a way in. It knocked and I opened the door, allowing myself to become readdicted to alcohol and spiral further down than I had even been.

This time I had a little help quitting, in the form of a Baker-act and 30 day treatment. The stint in the psych ward was humbling. I raged like an absolute lunatic, frothing at the mouth that "I do not belong here...this place is for crazy people!!!!" When I came out of the fog I knew I did belong, but not because of my issues, but because my use of alcohol and benzos had literally eaten my sanity. I decided then that I was never going to drink or use again. I did not know about AVRT or anything, although I had been exposed to different cognitive behavioral therapies. But I quit again, the same way I did back so many years ago. The difference now is I have a deeper understanding of addiction, the AV...I've educated myself on many things. Some philosophies/concepts/strategies I use, some I don't, but I keep learning. I have been truly free from that addiction sh!t for many years now, and fully expect to walk free until my days are done.
I'm glad you are here GFC