Thread: Leaving AA
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Some great advice above.

I do believe you are developing or have developed a resentment against 'some of the people' in the meetings you are going to. Well, they didn't meet your expectations. That is usually where resentments come from "our expectations."

Just because someone finds AA, half azz does the steps, stays sober, talks the talk, but does not walk the talk, does not make AA bad, it makes the 'person' still sick.

I learned very early in my recovery journey to Stick With The Winners. Well how was I suppose to do that? I was to LISTEN and WATCH peoples actions to see if they did WALK THE WAY THEY TALKED. That started with going for coffee after the meetings and 'listening'. Which ones were ready to gossip? Which ones were ready and talking about someone behind their back? etc you get the idea.

See, there is more than just "here are the steps we took which are suggested as a program of recovery.

I learned that after I 'worked' those steps, than I had to get down to the business of LIVING THOSE STEP in all facets of my life. There are a lot of folks in AA who never get that part of the program and continue to be miserable, restless and discontented, and keep going to meetings.

I am over 30 years sober and I have for many years now, continued to read, seek, and apply many other concepts to help me continue to LIVE the steps of AA. I attend a meeting once in a while, when someone I know, be it a sponsee or not is taking a cake, or I get a call from someone asking me to talk to someone. But, AA is NOT my life, living sober is my life.

Congrats on your 14 months. Instead of 'leaving' AA, try some different meetings, and look for "The Winners."

J M H O

Love and hugs,