Thread: Leaving AA
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 04:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
langkah

A part of growing up was realizing that each person I was close to would let me down at some point, because they are human and have faults. True in AA, true in church, true anywhere you can name.

Your ersatz daddy let you down similarly to the last one. The woman you replaced him with will let you down. Your bestest friend in the whole world will let you down, just as you yourself have let people down.

I hope I haven't let you down by pointing this out.

So what to do? You could go to where the AA people are unflawed and hang out with them, but because of your flaws you might stand out. You could withdraw from AA entirely, but you may have within the year's time noticed people dragging back in after getting so well and feeling so good that they lose track of the reason for their wellness, and mistake it instead for their own innate wonderfulness.

If you were always able to stop and get along fine without AA then that's what you can expect after you leave. If your experience was otherwise then you can expect that.

As big boys and girls we are responsible for our decisions and the reasoning that underlie them. Did you really think that no one in AA had ever done anything wrong? And because now that you've found that people do hurtful and wrong things you can't possibly be a part of AA, suffering now with that knowledge, knowledge you'd never ever suspected might be so? And the knowing of that prevents you from being around all the bad people because they might even do another bad thing, so for your well being you need to distance yourself just in case it happens yet again?

What's more likely is you've come to the point where many run and then find an excuse to run, and you've a reason that sounds resonable to you and you're running it by people here to see if others will think it reasonable as an excuse. Nothing extraordinary happening here.

It's best to leave on good terms, to thank the people who helped you when you needed that and let them know you're very well now and will be just fine forever, no need for their concern. 3 months from that most people will not know your name should you meet them by chance. You'll be only a forgotten part of the blur that passes constantly in and out of AA.

Which is a good thing in my estimation. People who don't care to be involved shouldn't be. Forcing themselves to remain clogs up the works and makes the groups less effective.

You have my full support in leaving.