Thread: Deluding myself
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 10:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ReadyAndAble

I take it as a good sign that I never have drinking dreams, only drinking nightmares.

Don't give up on me!
You don't give up on you, either.

I was talking with a friend about this just today. I think one of the things we need to eliminate is the notion that we gave up something fun—that abstinence is some sort of sacrifice. We eliminated something that was slowly tearing us apart. Missing it is akin to missing a tumor. All feelings to the contrary are illusions conjured by our addiction. There's no reason to get into a big debate with ourselves over it. The addiction wants to drink, and will never be convinced otherwise. You've made a decision to never drink again, and for good reason. There's no middle ground, and no point in arguing or trying to reason with our own addiction. Once I made that mental leap, the urges became easier to ignore, and then disappeared altogether.

That doesn't mean we don't have other voids in our life that are worth addressing, either as part of a formal addiction recovery program as DayTrader noted, or through more generalized adjustments to our lives, as artsoul suggested.

Congrats on the business milestone—you're doing great.