View Single Post
Old 09-22-2004, 06:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by NoMoBeer
I just thank God that Tyler made it through this stuff...
Me too Ken. I can't stand seeing my children suffer. A daddy's love and all that eh...
Can I tell you a little story? I posted it before, a long time ago. I'll just do the nutshell version now.
My daughter Hannah is soon to be seven years old. I stopped drinking when she was born. And when my wife went back to work, I stayed home to care for her.
She was six months old, perfect and happy. I loved being at home with her. I was real good at it. And the days went on...

It didn't take too long I guess, but I started having a few drinks during her afternoon nap. Figured I'd been dry for months, and that I couldn't possibly return to the insane drinking of before. Then a few in the afternoon became a few during morning nap as well... You get the picture I'm sure.
This will give you an idea of just how progressive the disease is. Within two weeks, I was drinking as soon as my wife was out the door in the morning.

Here's the nut...
One afternoon, getting Hannah out of her crib after her nap, I dropped her. On her head. Could have been worse than the actual result, but....
She now has a tiny hearing aid. Quasi-complete loss of hearing in one ear.

Oh how I love my children Ken. But today, I also love myself enough to not drink anymore. And I hope that somehow, this simple notion reveals itself to you.
So here's to Tyler and Hannah, and the fathers that love them.
(...)