View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 10:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

My answer will probably shock some on this board, since many of you know I found my recovery with AA when AA was pretty much the 'only game in town.'

Can they be sober without AA?
Absolutely YES!!!!

You see a lot has changed in recovery since I got sober and a lot has stayed the same, however, there are so many other 'programs' out there today and they do work, again if the A works them to the max.

And there are folks, and yes I have known a few, that use NO program whatsoever, but do work on themselves, find their own recovery and go on to live their life sober and free from the bondage of alcohol and/or drugs.

Let me tell you about a dear friend I had until recently. We met over 20 years ago and she became like an older sister to me, a beautiful lady with a beautiful heart. She was not always that way. Many years ago, back in the late 50's she was a rip roaring alcoholic military wife. That is how she described herself. Her 'middle' son was 6 years old and very very ill. The 'military' doctors did not seem to be helping him. She arranged transport for her and all 3 children back to the states from Germany. Got him to a civilian doctor or two or three here and he did pull through.

However, to deal with all this Norma Jean had continued to drink herself into oblivion every night. Upon her son starting to get better, she sat herself down, with no booze and had a long talk with self. She stopped drinking and 'knew' that she could never drink again. She did it, she lived a very spiritual life with no church involved. It was after I had met NJ that I started to hear of and meet others. No program, not even self will, just an 'awakening' of sorts that they had to change themselves to live.

Now I will add though that through our many talks over the years, she admitted that had she known about something like AA it probably would have been 'easier' for her, but at the time, she didn't want easy, she wanted 'forever.'

So, all of the above to say YES they can be sober without AA. AA is not the only 'means' available. I still believe that the majority of alcoholics could definitely use a mentor of sorts and some type of program, but what ever one they choose, it will require their UTMOST.

Hope that helps a bit.

Love and hugs,