Old 02-23-2012, 03:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
naive

hello itsastart-

wondering how things are going today?

i've just read all of your posts and from what you have described, he is white knuckling it and it sounds as if his strategy is to do this for a while and then return to drinking once everything cools down.

in my experience, that never works. ever.

the alcoholic has to want to stop on their own. we can not force them to. and believe me, many of us tried to for years.

what you can change, though, is yourself. here we recommend trying to define what your boundaries are. these are things you can control.

if you feel to, could you please clarify exactly what happened with the gun? it's a bit vague. i understand that you wrestle with him for your gun...

was a shot fired?
why did he have your gun?
was he threatening to harm himself or harm you?
does he still have access to the gun?

i was physically abused by my alcoholic, so i understand that one minute things are fine and in the next minute, they are not. it happens in one minute but we have to live with the consequences the rest of our lives.

i understand you love him. we all understand that. and none of this is easy. i am sorry to share with you that we can not make them quit if they don't want to. i hope you take that on-board.

is there alanon near you? that's a good starting place for your own recovery from this trauma.

naive