Old 02-22-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

Girls were a great motivator to get me to meetings, for many years. Luckily, and happily - the woman I recently married has nothing to do with AA. A friend of mine once said if you're going to go fishing, don't fish in polluted waters. DOH!!!!! I believe there's some truth in that.

Anyhow, in all honesty, regarding that... from the few women I did date in AA, my experience is one alcoholic in a relationship is more than enough. Throw 2 together and yer looking for trouble. It sometimes works, usually doesn't. And it usually only works after people are sober for a while.

But enough of that... whatever gets you to meetings. It's an important place to be. And as others have suggested, go to as many different meetings as you can. They all have different people, different atmospheres, different attitudes... find where you're comfortable and call it home. I think it's also crucial to make sure you get to as many step and/or bigbook meetings as possible also. This was something that was driven home to me in early recovery, and I don't hear it much any more. Big book and step meetings are the meat and potatoes meetings. And although I'm vegetarian who likes to keep my carbs down, I get it. I personally would have never stayed sober had I just been going to some of the more "social" meetings in my neighborhood. While I feel they definitely have their place, experience has shown me that the ones who stay around are the ones that go beyond just finding a bunch of other non drinking people to hang around with. It's about making a change inside, if we want to learn to live happily without alcohol.

Conrats on your first AA experience. Best of luck.