Thread: mybook01
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

(((Mybook))) - My addiction history involves abusing alcohol, abusing pain meds, getting totally addicted to crack.

I ruptured a disc in my back, years ago, and every now and then it flares up. When I met my dr., first visit, I said "okay, I'm an RA, this is what I've abused and been addicted to. I do NOT want to go down that path again, however I do have legit pain where OTC meds, PT exercises do not work. I want us to work out a plan, right now, for when that happens".

We did. I get a very limited Rx, no refills. That dr. left the practice, I have a new one, but told her the same thing. She will NOT give me pain meds unless I see her..I was an RN, I know she wants to hear that..yes, I'm still trying to work but can't because of the pain, yes, I'm still doing good in school, no, yes, I've tried everything and no, I cannot function without some pain relief.

I do not feel this changes my clean date, which is coming up on 5 years. I don't abuse it, I cling to SR and f2f support while I have to take them, because I don't want to go down the road of "oooh, numb, me LIKE" again. Some people don't get it. They think ANY mood-altering drugs are huge red flags. IMO, my recovery is mine. If I need something to function, I don't abuse it, and I've been totally honest with my dr? I'm still in recovery.

I also know some people have a higher pain threshold. I'm tough, but not that tough. Keep you're recovery first and foremost, be honest with your dr. and I think you'll be just fine.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy