Old 02-20-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
For me, a bottom was not an event, it was the moment I decided I couldn't live my life that way one more day.

I was done - and like Rob anything else except being drunk looked good.

I think that kind of eureka moment is universal to us all, and essential.

While I don't therefore find the concept odd or dangerous I do absolutely agree with Kanamit that we should encourage people to seek help and not wait for some 'bottom' to arrive - I'd like to think people can do it easier than I did.

In the end tho, it's not our call when that happens - all we can do is share our experience

For the second part of the question - once I resolved that I didn't want to live that way, it was a natural follow on that I had to resolve to do whatever I had to not drink again and to do whatever I had to to be happy with that decision

I don't think I ever committed to being sober with the same vehemence and desperation that I did to not being drunk anymore either - it was a real life changing moment

D
Yeah, worth repeating in the thread -- I too believe and agree we do our best when we encourage others to seek help and not wait for some 'bottom' to arrive. It seems (of course) senseless and inhuman to wait until a likely alcoholic death is the only 'teacher of wisdom'.

And I don't encourage others to find their bottom, even when I have resigned myself to the reality that they themselves are seeking that impossible bottom. I have said they can declare their bottom at any time they may so wish. As Dee said though, its not our call on when and how that happens for others.