Old 02-20-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

At the end of RR:TNC, Chapter 13, titled Lapses, Relapses, and Other Nonsense on p. 210, it reads -
"If you have made a Big Plan, try getting out of it and discover the meaning of the word never.
Tomorrow, your Beast will be busy at work, trying to salvage a foothold in your thinking. Will you be ready? I bet you will be."
I think that with a detailed backtracking of a person's thoughts from the point of pouring alcohol into his/her mouth and swallowing, a person can logically expose and understand more clearly how he/she had not really made a Big Plan in the first place.

To point out the irrational stubbornness of my Big Plan, I am perfectly aware of, and very comfortable with, the idea that if discoveries were made in the future that allowed anyone to drink alcohol and not get drunk, I would still not drink - I could not drink. It doesn't even matter anymore why I quit.

In the movie North by Northwest, Cary Grant is forced to drink at gunpoint. I do not consider such an ingestion of alcohol to violate a Big Plan. That said, my Beast would love that to happen to me. Yes, my AV says it's worth risking getting shot to death. It says, just take the drink, and everything will work out OK.

Early on, I actually spent time with serious shifting on this sort of total improbability. Today the shifting is completely lopsided in my favor. I have to shine a light in a dark corner of my past to even recognize my AV anymore. It almost feels like a form of rhetoric, today.