View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 12:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
camedown
MINEr

This Disease is Truly Relentless

So I am in my eight month of sobriety, and I have a friend who is a couple weeks ahead of me, and we have been following each other through our outpatient program and through AA. His sobriety started with liver failure due to alcoholism and put him into a coma for three weeks. I found out today that he has been given a 75% chance of living through the next three months. Of course I am hurting, he is a kind and gentle man with a family. He works a solid program in AA and in our outpatient, has worked the steps and everything. The thing that really struck me though is that he still ocassionally craves the drink, even though it is in a very active process of killing him. His mind, and mine too, have been permanently changed to crave it. I still have cravings even though I work a hard program and still remember my week in the ICU that almost killed me. I still have cravings even though I know one drink WILL lead me back to drinking heavy, which could kill me in a very short time. He still craves even though it is very likely he will die from this disease. Alcohol doesn't f*****g care, it just wants us to drink. We must put up every effort to avoid it at all cost, meetings, therapy, meditation, praying, whatever. We must put in the work if we want to live, and who knows, we may even become happy on the way. Sorry to dump this, but I am in a raw state, and I want to share with all the newer people that you can't let inhibitions or fears or pride get in the way of seeking any and all methods of help in your recovery. Alcohol doesn't care about your inhibitions, fears, or pride, it just wants you to stay active in your disease, and away from recovery at all cost. Please seek whatever help you can.