View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EnglishGarden

I am not an addict but my understanding is that the addict has a profoundly emotional relationship with the drug, the addict is deeply, lovingly bonded to the drug and to spending time with the drug and pursuing the drug and thinking about the drug and fondling the drug and embracing it with intense transcendent feelings of love.

Your bf loves his intimate drug experience with all his heart. He has emergency props on hand so he can immerse himself in his drug and maybe not die. But he is willing to die for it.

I think he is probably not willing to die for you. My understanding of addiction is that while in the disease the addict will sacrifice everyone, but not the drug.

What usually breaks up a love relationship is abuse. Painful, ongoing, shredding abuse.

So when the drug starts abusing the addict, when the high is gone and the devil has taken over, that is when the addict tries to break up with the drug.

When we enable the addict, we support that love relationship the addict has with the drug.

You were right to call 911. I would have done the same.

But changing his bonded, deeply emotional love for the drug, that you will not be able to do.

Place his destiny and yours in God's hands. Get well. The stories of your lives are still unfolding.