Thread: Our Teenager
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2004, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
IrishDad

Our Teenager

Hi folks,

I just signed up to this board today. What a great place. I looked for a long time before I found it, and after reading alot of the posts I'm getting a better understanding of both sides of the coin. I admire you all very much for sharing and caring.

Anyway, my wife and I are looking for advice or pointers as to how to handle drug problems with my 16 year old daughter. Here's the story so far.....

For about the past year or two her behaviour has changed in to what I can only describe now as totally out of control. She has left the house several times over that period and two weeks ago was away for a full week. Her behaviour is swinging from what we know as our lovely daughter to that of screaming, door banging brat. Last time she came home we had purchased a home test-kit and she was caught off-guard and agreed to use it. It tests using a urine sample. The test revealed she has been using hash, heroin and ecstacy. Previously, she had admitted to using cocaine.

She walked out last night and did not return home again, knowing we three had a meeting with her addiction counsellor today to set some rules. We've told her (over the weekend) that if she leaves again we will not go looking for her, that it is her choice but that there are actions and consequences for those actions. (She currently has a boyfriend whose parents do not mind her staying, so we know she is off the streets!)

Any advice on how we should proceed, the best way to handle this? We love her dearly and we would really appreciate your comments.

Thanks much,
S.

P.S. We have also had her with paid and volunteer psychologists and with a psychiatrist, all to no avail. Her current addiction councellor is very good but now she has stopped responding there as well.
:Flush: :Flush: :Flush: