View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lovelife27

Why did you decide to quit drinking?

I used to drink a pint of 100 proof vodka every night. I finally got up the guts to quit. I've now made it a little over two months sober! I'm so ridiculously glad that I finally broke the cycle and am starting to really live life again. I thought I'd start a thread...what made you finally decide to give it up?

Here's mine:
I went to the liquor store that I used to go to every day (I had been using a different liquor store). The cashier looked at me with disappointment and sighed, saying, "I thought maybe you'd given it up." I left swimming in shame and disgust with myself.
I spent half of Thanksgiving driving around to every liquor store I could think of, desperately trying to find one that was open.
I got sick of living a life of shame, guilt, and embarrasment.
I got sick of getting sick...sick of being terrified that I was giving myself liver disease or would give myself a heart attack
I got sick of hiding away from my family, friends, responsibilities, life...got sick of hiding MYSELF away with a bottle
I realized what I was doing to myself wasn't really living...it was a waste of the life and gifts I've been given.

So, why did you decide to quit?