Old 02-16-2012, 04:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kellye C

Originally Posted by checkmate1 View Post
I have read on here that many people go from drinking wine or beer onto the stronger liquor like vodca and bourbon to get a stronger buzz. Also people who drink in the morning or early afternoons to avoid hangovers are more likely to develop dependence. Just wanted to know what other SR members thought of this.
With regards to turning to the "stronger stuff" as a progression symptom, for me it was the exact opposite. My drink of choice was always hard liquor as I HATED the taste of beer and wine. When I became so desperate that I bought beer and wine because I could get it easier (in our state liquor stores close at 9:00pm and all day Sundays), THAT was a sign of progression for me. I would go to the store or gas station in a dead panic having run out of the hard stuff despite trying to "portion" it in such a way that a huge bottle lasted through Sunday.

As for the drinking in the morning or earlier in the day being a sign of progression it most definitely was with me. When I started leaving work for lunch time and guzzling vodka to stop the shakes, accidentally going overboard which meant slurring my words when answering the office phone, carrying the mini bottles of wine in my purse to stop the shakes, leaving a BAR long enough to go to a liquor store to get a bottle (so I could make sure I passed out that night) and then returning to the bar to carry on as a "normal drinker", I could no longer deny to myself that I was in way over my head.

I am thankful beyond words that I do not have to live that way today.