View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
TheJungianThing

I understand the spirit behind the "clarification" for lack of a better word.

When slogans and sayings REPLACE the text in the book it can become problematic, especially for alcoholics of the type described in the text.

Some slogans, such as "Don't drink, go to meetings", saved my life and because I was at a MEETING, and "Didn't Drink", I was able to hear "the message", hook up with a guy to show me the way for Steps 4-5, and move on.

But meetings alone wouldn't suffice for me, he made that clear, I heard him loud and clear. Especially a few years down the road when I was "resting on my laurels" and merely attending meetings. Having nothing FRESH and CURRENT to offer, I remained silent or regurgitated the samel old - "If you want to stop, just come back and follow directions". Then Joe shared too long, that broad really needs to put some other clothes on because I'm distracted by her "spirit" :rotfxko and can't help looking. Then a resentment crops up, then the meetings stop.

So now, I'm without Step 10 and 11 and NOT going to meetings.

Made for a very precarious situation for me at 4 years sober.

Had I drank, one could say "I chose to drink", in that I chose to stop doing what was necessary to maintain spiritual fitness. But the book says it, "insanity returns and we drink again". Back to that place where I can't provide a mental defense.