View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
wanttobehealthy

My opinion? No. Confronting is not the same as controlling UNLESS by confronting you are hoping that there will be some changed behavior on the other person's part.

Confronting to state your feelings (vs feeling you are required to keep quiet lest you rouse the elephant in the room) particularly when followed by a statement of what your boundaries are and what you will follow through with are all (IMO) healthy.

When I would confront AH about his drinking it was for the purpose of trying to convince him to change, to help him see what harm he was doing to himself and others... That was okay for me to do-- sure I had the right to-- but it did no good for my peace, for changing him or for anything changing in me.

When I confronted him and said "this is my boundary, these are my non negotiables and I will base what I will think and what I will do about this r/s on the actions I see from you and not your words" that was a different kind of confronting and it was healthier. That kind of confronting was me just stating what my plans were and I expected nothing from him.