Thread: Confusion
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
mattmathews

Originally Posted by jblocutus1701d View Post
I'm willing to do and be what he needs and help him when he asks for it. I've offered my support and assistance but I'm not going to push. He knows that I'm here if he needs anything.
That quote combined with "I feel like there's this hole in my chest and it's eating away at me," makes me think that you maybe tend to get a little lost in your relationships?

In my relationship with the alcoholic in my life, I was completely wrapped up in her life. Even though she was sick, I totally looked up to her and anything out of her mouth went right to my heart. If it was good, I felt good. If it was bad, I felt like crap. Let me tell you: That's no way to live.

Through Al-Anon, I've learned to detach from my alcoholic. Now, she can share her feelings and I can listen with compassion...without feeling her feelings. I can be apart from her without being lonely. I can be myself without needing to be what she wants me to be. Sometimes it's hard...but it's sooo worth it.

My wife has been working at her recovery for almost two years and she's stronger and wiser than I've ever seen her. I've been working at my own recovery, and I truly feel that I've experienced a lot of personal and spiritual growth. Working on myself, has made our relationship stronger. Actually, it saved our relationship.