View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Lost3000
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Lost3000, we are all different in our reactions to new-found sobriety. Your freedom from constant cravings could be a mixed blessing though. Someday you might feel that giving up the drink is no big deal, that you can do it any time you want to. But be very careful, that conclusion is fraught with hazard. Treasure and value that gift you have, not experiencing those teeth grinding cravings. You are fortunate, don't jeopardize it.
You know, like most of us, I've done TONS of reading. I've also read the threads of long-time sober folks who've slipped. I asked them, what happened? Because selfishly, I don't want the same thing to happen to me.

I realize that is could be the main reason why people slip - because they think that they are "cured" or can manage. So yes, that thought is constantly in the back of my mind.

I wonder if I just didn't drink myself to the point that it would make it extremely difficult. Or maybe it's because this time around (this is my 2nd and final attempt!) I have no delusions to drink again. The first time, I decided I'd be ok to drink on my upcoming vacation and then I would miraculously come back sober. This time I'm done, no drinking, ever.

I honestly don't want it this time. I'm having more of a hard time going through the changes but I'm hanging in there because this is the life I want. I can see glimmers of the life I'll have without booze. And I like it.

Anyway, I guess there's nothing for me to do but just keep on trying and doing what I'm doing. I'm sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop and maybe it just won't come at all.

Thanks for your post.