Old 02-09-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Willybluedog

If your live with an Alcoholic and have children in the home.

There have been some posts of late by people that have felt mistreated by others on this board because of recommendations to leave your alcoholic for the sake of your children.

I keep reading statements of "there is not abuse", I am here to tell you as an ACOA, there may not be physical abuse, there may not be beatings, but there is a ton of research to back me up, your children will be or are being affected by this.

Will they grow up and become an alcoholic or drug addict, or grow up to marry one, the odds are that yes one of those will probably occur. Will they try to overcompensate or withdraw or act out, again the odds are yes.

I am sorry that you are offended by our experiences, I don't believe there is a person here who is here to intentionally hurt another, I believe we as a group are here to try and help ourselves and to help each other.

There are days when I just cannot climb that hill alone, so I reach out and someone grabs my hand and pulls me up, we don't let each other fall if we can do anything at all to help it.

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes typing this because I am so sad for you and your situation, and I am sad for your children, I never want them to have to go through what I have gone through, what so many of us have gone through.

At Christmastime every year, they show Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, and they get to The Island of Misfit Toys, and I would be so sad because that's where I felt I belonged, I knew even as a little kid that I was damaged goods and that nobody wanted me!

Again, I am sorry that you are hurt or offended, but that won't stop me from reaching out to you, praying for you and your children, and telling my story, you see I am a survivor and in spite of all that was done to me, I will go on.

To all my friends here, thank you so much for all you have done for me, my heart swells when I tell people about you guys and gals.

Big hugs,

Bill