View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
logicalparadox

Yes, so much so.

Drinking for awhile masked how insecure I was to everyone. Fast forward years later and it's what I depended on every day to do almost everything. Obviously that didn't turn out well. :/

Right now I really am not going anywhere I don't have to. I really need to look for a second job but I'm soo soo anxious I can't seem to get myself out to apply, uggh. I have pep talks w/myself before even walking into class. So I feel your pain. All I keep telling myself is that I have to face this and start to learn how to deal with the reasons behind my social anxiety. It's insane b/c I used to go out and work in bars/music venues and it's just soo outside of my comfort zone. I sometimes feel like I have to learn who I really am and what I actually like now without the mask alcohol and drugs provided. Not exactly a comforting notion at 28.

Have you ever met with a therapist? I am sure others will have a lot of better ideas b/c I'm still really new in trying to deal with this (and my method = being a hermit, so I surely can't suggest that!) Try looking into some grounding exercises:
Grounding Techniques