Thread: Confusion
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 12:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jblocutus1701d

Confusion

I haven't been with my now ex boyfriend for too long but we had a really good connection and support structure. Things got a little rocky and he considered himself a "functioning alcoholic" or something along those lines. It was when he started drinking because of stress that he got scared of slipping and he started going back to meetings.

He told me he wanted to take a break and start over as friends, now he's saying some people wait at least a year. I thought that having the support and love of a relationship might be able to help, I understand that this isn't always the case. All I can say is that I'm in a lot of pain. I want to be there for him and help and support him in any way that I can. He didn't let it control him but he felt like it could so he took a step back and re-evaluated a lot of things in his life.

I think what he's doing is amazing and I'm so happy for him. I love him deeply and want to be there in any way that he needs me to be, but I don't know what to do. I feel like there's this hole in my chest and it's eating away at me.

What I'm getting at is:
Can an alcoholic in recovery be in a relationship? I know everyone's different but I truly have no idea what to do and I'm at a complete loss. All I know is that I hurt and I love him and I want to be with him and be there for him. Does anyone on here have a successful story like this or any advice? I could use some positivity at the moment.