View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
desertsong
Choosing Life

Hey Heathersweeds! I remember you talking about your son too. We have so much in common. Every little thing they do is a huge accomplishment, isn't it? (we're still working on the potty thing too!)

His school gets them into all of these things. They do therapeutic horseback riding, skiing, and a bunch of other stuff as part of their curriculum at school. It's awesome living in Wyoming where the special ed budget isn't as strapped as it is in other states. There is an organization here that does outdoor sports for kids with special needs too, and we enrolled him as soon as we heard about it. I'm training to be a therapeutic riding instructor too, and the ranch where we do the lessons also gives lessons to his class at school. I feel so blessed to live in a place where people truly understand what these special people need and are happy to provide it. We moved here from southern California, where soooo many people need services that there isn't enough to go around. Living in Wyoming year round is challenging (we have summer here for about two days ) but interestingly enough, the folks here "get" it. Ironically, we also have one of the highest alcoholism rates in the country (makes sense in some ways ... ) but I wouldn't live anywhere else. Drinking here is a recreational sport, especially if you don't do the "great outdoors" stuff ....